After Ukraine has moved troops and equipment to Donbass region and to the border with Crimea, Russia has (allegedly) started to move its own troops and equipment to all areas bordering Ukraine. It is said that Moscow intends to demonstrate that it will not stand idly by when Kiev regime forces attack Donbass.
One should remember what Putin said during a press conference in 2018 when asked:
“Kiev can launch an offensive of the Ukrainian Armed Forces in the Donbas during the World Cup in Russia, what will happen then?!”
Putin replied: “Let them just try, then Ukraine will lose its statehood!
I post here a few sources with videos and images:
Please note, none of these videos images have been geo-located and dated, so I cannot confirm that they are accurate. However, in my opinion they probably are credibly depicting the situation.
Seven years ago, the citizens of Crimea decided in a referendum to rejoin Russia. Turonout was 83,1%, and 87.77% voted Yes to joining Russia.
There’s a nice document on the website of the Republic of Crimea looking into the legal aspects and the legality of this referendum.
Some of the key points:
- Coup d’état on February 23, 2014 removed the constitutional order of Ukraine and the constitution was set aside;
- Crimea continued to be governed by a locally elected legal government;
- Crimea had a special legal status, and remained in Ukraine after 1991 only due to a legal compromise, which required a legal, democratically elected government in Kiew. The coup d’état destroyed that;
- There were threats of violence and ethnic cleansing against the population of Crimea (65% Russian and 13% Crimean Tatars);
- Action of Crimean government was founded in law and thus legal;
- Sevastopol was not part of Crimea since Oct. 29, 1948 and was a legal subject of the Russian SFSR;
- Transfer of Crimea from Russian SFSR to Ukraine in 1954 was illegal under the then constitutions of the USSR, Russian SFSR and Ukraine;
- Sevastopol’s transfer to Crimea and Ukraine was never based on any legally normative act of the USSR or Russian SFSR and was an unilateral act of Ukraine;
- The referendum was conducted in a democratic and transparent way;
Document in full (original source):